Today we are recognizing National Diabetes Month with Dr. John Smith from BCBS of NC, who shared information of how to better control diabetes and how it affects COVID-19 and more… listen in as Dr. Smith talks with Melissa Wade and our Working Moms.
Presented by: BLUE CROSS AND BLUE SHIELD OF NORTH CAROLINA – OFFERING A VARIETY OF PLANS FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, SERVING NORTH CAROLINA FOR OVER 85 YEARS
Dr John Smith is a Family Practitioner with 17 years of clinical practice in a variety of care settings (Community Health Center, Group Model HMO, Hospital setting) and 14 years of experience in a Health Plan (BCBSNC) in Utilization Management and Appeals and the Quality Area of Provider Network. He led the Provider (physician and facility) tiering for quality, cost, and efficiency 2015-2020). Dr Smith serves as a co-chair for the National Quality Forum (NQF) Neurology Workgroup and was a member of the NC Institute of Medicine (NCIOM) Serious Illness Workgroup in 2019 and is now the NC Serious Illness (NCSI) Coalition on Serious Illness.
Diabetes Resources: · Blue Cross NC Diabetes websites
o Diabetes and Livin” It § https://www.bcbsnc.com/content/campaigns/diabetes/diabetic-and-living-it.htm
o Living with Diabetes § https://blog.bcbsnc.com/managing-your-diabetes/
· Diabetes Free NC o https://www.diabetesfreenc.com/
· NC Diabetes Advisory Council o https://www.diabetesnc.com/wp-content/themes/dnc/assets/downloads/0120/DAC_FactSheet_Diabetes-Jan2020.pdf
· Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) o https://www.cdc.gov/MMWR/volumes/69/wr/mm6915e3.htm
· American Diabetes Association (ADA) o https://www.diabetes.org/coronavirus-covid-19/how-coronavirus-impacts-people-with-diabetes
· Office of Minority Health o https://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/browse.aspx?lvl=4&lvlid=18
· Diabetes Research Institute o https://www.diabetesresearch.org/