From The Huffington Post:
In the week leading up to the holiday, Black Lives Matter, Color of Change and a dozen other racial and criminal justice organizations are leading a charge to help bail out black moms. Their collective effort is part of a campaign called National Mama’s Bail Out Day, which aims to provide all incarcerated black women ― including those who identify as queer, trans, young, elder and immigrant ― who are unable to afford bail an opportunity to spend the special day with their families.
…Throughout the week, organizations in over a dozen cities ― including Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, New Orleans, New York City and St. Petersburg, Florida ― will work with public defenders, community members, churches and other spiritual institutions to raise money to help bail out black mothers. They will also provide helpful resources to those released and host teach-ins that highlight the impact destructive bail practices can have on black families.
The idea for Mama’s Bail Out Day — which will free at least 30 women who have committed low-level offenses but can’t afford bail in cities across the country — originated from a January meeting of representatives from 25 black-led organizations that wanted to join forces to promote bail reform, reports The Nation.
Stirring Photos Of The Black Lives Matter Protests In Baton Rouge
1. Baton Rouge Protests1 of 12
2. Baton Rouge Protests2 of 12
3. Baton Rouge Protests3 of 12
4. Baton Rouge Protests4 of 12
5. Baton Rouge Protests5 of 12
6. Baton Rouge Protests6 of 12
7. Baton Rouge Protestors7 of 12
8. Baton Rouge Protestors8 of 12
9. Baton Rouge Protests9 of 12
10. Baton Rouge Protests10 of 12
11. Baton Rouge Protests11 of 12
12. Baton Rouge Protests12 of 12
Black Lives Matter Activists Organizing National Mama’s Bail Out Day was originally published on newsone.com