Karen Clark, a Durham native, is a graduate of the School of Journalism at the UNC- Chapel Hill. Her desire to pursue a career in broadcast led her to a 4-year stint in commercial radio. Karen’s experience included on-air work G-105 (WDCG) and K97.5 (WQOK) in Raleigh, North Carolina. Karen’s radio experience led her to a Promotions Manager position with Columbia Records. While working with Columbia, Karen promoted and marketed albums for national recording artists such as Mariah Carey, Will Smith, Beyonce, Wyclef Jean and many others. This promotions position was Karen’s first foray into event planning, allowing her to coordinate parties, autograph signings, performances and regional itineraries for dozens of artists. After three years with Columbia Records, Karen landed a position with West Coast based Capitol Records. Capitol Records boasts an impressive roster of artists including The Beatles, Coldplay, Corrine Bailey Rae and Snoop Dogg. After seven years in the music industry, Karen, along with her mother, started Something Borrowed, Something Blue, a nationally-recognized wedding and event planning company based in Raleigh, North Carolina. Karen’s events have been seen on the Style Network shows Whose Wedding Is It Anyway? and Married Away. She has been a featured contributor for InStyle Weddings, The Knot and various local news programs and publications Karen is currently the Midday On-Air Personality at Foxy 107.1/104.3 (WFXC/WFXK.) She enjoys cooking, working out, playing with her young son and volunteering in the community.
Notice & Application for At-Large City Council Vacancy
All submitted applications are public records and will be posted to this page for public review.
The At-Large City Council vacancy appointment process will proceed with the following timeline:
- Friday, March 11–Friday, March 25: Applications accepted through March 25 at 5 p.m.
- Thursday, April 7 at 1 p.m.: City Council identifies finalists for appointment consideration during its regularly scheduled Work Session.
- Monday, May 2 at 4 p.m.: City Council interviews finalists at a special meeting in City Hall Council Chambers.
- Tuesday, May 3 at 6 p.m.: City Council will conduct a public comment period during a special meeting in City Hall Council Chambers, and will then make its final selection.
- Oath of Office Date: City Clerk will coordinate with the appointee to select a date and time to administer their oath of office.
All meetings and work sessions will be available for the public to watch virtually. View the press release for details on ways to watch.
DURHAM CITY COUNCIL NOTICE OF AT-LARGE COUNCIL SEAT VACANCY
Application Period: March 11, 2022 – March 25, 2022, 5 p.m.
The Durham City Council is accepting applications to fill the At-Large Council Seat for the unexpired term of former City Council Member Charlie Reece, who resigned from the Durham City Council to relocate with his family outside of Durham. The At-Large Vacancy expires in November 2023. View the notice as a PDF | View the press release
Candidates for the position must:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Live within the corporate city limits of Durham
- Be a registered voter within the Durham County Board of Elections
- Be current on City and County taxes at the time of application submission
The deadline to receive applications with completed questionnaires by electronic or hardcopy, is close of business Friday, March 25, 2022 at 5 p.m.
English Application (PDF)
Print copies are available at the City Clerk’s Office at the address listed below
Submit Via Email
Applications with completed questionnaires must be emailed and received at firstname.lastname@example.org between Friday, March 11, 2022 through Friday, March 25, 2022 at 5 p.m.
Submit Via U.S. Mail or In Person
Applications with completed questionnaires will be accepted in person at the address below, or by U.S. Mail postmarked by the deadline to:
City Clerk’s Office
101 City Hall Plaza, Second Floor
Durham, NC 27701
For additional information, contact the City Clerk’s Office at 919-560-4166, ext. 12266, Monday–Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.