Shopping on- line on Cyber Monday has it’s advantages and disadvantage. You avoid crowds, but it also opens the buyer up to attacks from scams and hackers. In order to fight the Grinch use precaution when shopping on-line. Be cautious of the following:
1. Bargain emails offering gift cards and coupon deals –You’ll get a lot of emails offering you free gift cards or gift cards offering crazy discounts. If if sounds to good to be true it is. Buyer Beware. The scam is to get you to enter your personal information online, so they can hack into your accounts or buy stuff in your name.
2. Bogus e-tailers- It’s important to be savvy while performing web transactions. There are some steps to make sure you are not getting ripped off:
- Only buy from websites/companies you recognize and trust
- If you are not familiar with a company check them out before turning over your financial information
- Track consumer feedback on a company
- No deal is that great it will probably be there tomorrow and maybe cost less.
- Use your credit card when making online purchases so that can dispute charges if something happens with your order
3. E-cards and video greetings- Some scammers will send you e-cards or videos that download malware to your computer when you click on them. They might even come from a familiar email or Twitter account, if one of your friends gets hacked.
4. Incredible discounts from unfamiliar sites- You make a purchase and give them your credit card info and they use it to buy stuff on the real site where you should have gone in the first place.
- Always keep any documentation of the purchase