Update: There will be no charges against the 14-year old Muslim student from Texas who brought a homemade digital clock to school. The clock was assumed to be a bomb and he was arrested. Police said race was not a factor in the case.
A ninth grader in Irving, Texas was arrested Monday after bringing a homemade clock to school. Ahmed Mohamed is known to make electronic items. It’s his hobby. He’s made radios and a bluetooth speaker. A few weeks into the school year at a new school, he decided to show his engineering teacher what he could do, according to the Dallas Morning News.
After taking his clock to school, teachers notified the principal who contacted the police. The boy was accused of building a hoax bomb and arrested.
According to the Dallas Morning News, Ahmed “loved robotics club in middle school and was searching for a similar niche in his first few weeks of high school.”
Ahmed’s father, who immigrated from Sudan and occasionally returns to run for president, feels that his son was mistreated because he is Muslim.
#NYFWNoir: Black Models Are Killing The Game At New York Fashion Week
1. Black Models Killing ItSource:Getty 1 of 11
2. Backstage at the Angel Sanchez ShowSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. Badgley MischkaSource:Getty 3 of 11
4. LaQuan SmithSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. Diane Von FurstenbergSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. Diane Von FurstenbergSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. Diane Von FurstenbergSource:Getty 7 of 11
8. Tommy HilfigerSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. Tommy HilfigerSource:Getty 9 of 11
10. Ese AzenaborSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Ese AzenaborSource:Getty 11 of 11