If you have health concerns when it comes to sending your kids to school this fall, you have the option of a virtual academy in Wake County. The application period is July 10th-July 20th. Details can be found here.
Get more info about returning to campus in Wake County here.
Enrollment in the WCPSS Virtual Academy
- Students will remain enrolled at their current school as assigned by WCPSS Student Assignment.
- Supports from Special Education Services will be provided by qualified teachers and related service providers.
- Students will continue to receive updates and services via their assigned school. These services include but are not limited to AIG, ESL, Intervention and 504 services.
- K-12 students & families who participate in the Virtual Academy will be permitted to participate in co-curricular and extra-curricular activities including athletics through their current school.
Daily Structure in the WCPSS Virtual Academy
- Students who choose fully online instruction should expect the following to be true across all grade levels:
- To the degree possible, students will be assigned teachers from their current school. However, in some cases, WCPSS may assign students to different schools within a region to form classes.
- Students will experience a daily school schedule that includes the same components of the school day as their grade level peers participating in face-to-face or blended instruction to the degree feasible.
- Students will receive counseling and social emotional support from their current school staff.
- Students will experience an intentional effort on the part of their school’s staff to make meaningful connections and to create a true classroom community.
Instruction in the WCPSS Virtual Academy
- Students who choose to engage in fully online instruction should expect the following to be true across all grade levels:
- Students will experience the WCPSS core instructional program online. Instruction will be standards-aligned and focused on ensuring student mastery.
- Students will either be assigned to a teacher within their school or their school’s region. Structures will be in place to communicate needs and progress to a student’s current school if they are assigned to a teacher within the region.
- Grading structures will be consistent with in-person and blended instruction environments and Board Policy 3400.
- Any specialized services (Special Education, ESL, 504 Plans, Intervention Plans) will be implemented by staff at the student’s current school to provide continuity of service from 2019-2020.
- For magnet school students, magnet programming will be implemented to the degree possible in the online environment.
- Teachers will work in collaboration with other school staff members to align instructional practices and expectations.
- It will not be feasible to offer all specials/elective programs in a fully online environment. Students who choose the WCPSS Virtual Academy program option may need to adjust specials/ elective schedule choices.
- Students and families will have support from a Student Help Desk for technology assistance.
- Students and families will have access to library media services.