Southwestern Christian University men’s basketball coach Dave Bliss resigned Monday after Showtime aired a Disgraced documentary on the 2003 murder of former Baylor player Patrick Dennehy, reports Deadspin.
…Bliss was the Bears’ coach at the time, and his handling of the scandal is a major part of the documentary.
Bliss agreed to be interviewed for the documentary, even though it would inevitably reflect harshly on his time in charge of Baylor. After Dennehy was killed, Bliss repeatedly claimed that he had paid his tuition at Baylor by selling drugs. In fact, Bliss had violated NCAA rules by paying Dennehy’s tuition himself after Dennehy transferred from New Mexico. The NCAA was closing in on Bliss, and he cooked up the drug dealing story (which Waco PD say there is no evidence for) to shake investigators.
No official reason was given for Bliss’ departure, with the university confirming the resignation and their commitment to helping student athletes reach success, reports the Chicago Tribune.
Sex, Guns & Violence: The Biggest Scandals In NBA History
1. Kobe Bryant Cheating and Rape Allegations1 of 13
2. Nick Young Gets Put on Blast by D’Angelo Russell2 of 13
3. Derek Fisher and Matt Barnes Fight Over a Woman3 of 13
4. Malice at the Palace4 of 13
5. Magic Johnson’s HIV Announcement5 of 13
6. Allen Iverson Trespassing6 of 13
7. Gilbert Arenas Brings a Gun to Practice7 of 13
8. Delonte West Sleeping with LeBron’s Mom8 of 13
9. Jordan’s Gambling Habit9 of 13
10. Donald Sterling Is the Most Hated Man in America10 of 13
11. Jason Kidd Allegedly Beat His Wife11 of 13
12. Latrell Sprewell Choking His Coach12 of 13
13. Tony Parker Sleeping With Teammate’s Wife13 of 13
Dave Bliss Leaves Post After Baylor Murder Documentary Aired was originally published on newsone.com