The other half of the institution, Clark College, was founded in 1869. Clark was named after Bishop Davis W. Clark, who was the first president of the Freedmen’s Aid Society. Finally, on July 1, 1988, the two schools joined forces to build Clark Atlanta University, combining one college’s graduate degree curriculum with the other’s liberal arts programs.
After the merger, the Atlanta University Center emerged, with Spelman and Morehouse College, and Morris Brown College, and the Interdenominational Theological Center joining the affiliation later.
Little Known Black History Fact: Clark Atlanta University was originally published on blackamericaweb.com