Ahead of DeVos’ speech, thousands of students, alumni and supporters of the Dayton, Florida HBCU signed petitions and presented them to Jackson’s office that urged the university’s administration to rescind its invitation to the controversial education secretary.
“You don’t know her. You don’t know her story,” responded Jackson, whom the Florida NAACP wants to resign over allegations that university officials are using threats to silence students and faculty who protest DeVos’ speech.
Things heated up again after the historically Black university presented DeVos with an honorary doctorate. The outlet said the auditorium “erupted with shouts” when she began to speak, forcing DeVos to raise her voice. About half of the nearly 400 graduates turned their backs on her.
The president stepped to the microphone to scold the students: “Choose which way you want to go.” He said diplomas would be mailed to students who did not cooperate.
Jackson heaped praise on DeVos when he announced that she would deliver the keynote speech. He compared her to Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune, the African-American educator and civil rights advocate who founded the university in 1904.
Two months earlier, DeVos, an unwavering school choice advocate, sparked outrage when she called HBCUs “pioneers of school choice.” She was apparently ignorant to the historic fact the Jim Crow laws barred African-Americans from attending traditionally White institutions.
The Florida NAACP called the invitation a “slap in the face to minorities, women and all communities of color,” in a statement, adding that she has “a horrible public education record” that harms the Black community.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Bethune-Cookman Students Turn Backs, Boo DeVos At Tumultuous Commencement was originally published on newsone.com