If we don’t lift them up, who will?
Black men need us to have their backs.
What they don’t need is for us to:
1. Put them in harmful, dangerous or volatile situations.
2. Make them feel like they have to prove that they love us.
3. Make them feel they aren’t worthy of us
4. Feed their insecurities.
5. Ignore the pressures of being judged, profiled, and belittled.
In reality, it takes a strong woman to do these things. I think the only one who might have consistently done all five was Ruby Dee. And Ossie Davis isn’t here any longer to tell us any different.
But seriously, it takes a courageous woman to stand back to back with her man, able to be there when he needs to lean on her and remembering to lean on him to remind him of his strength. It takes a “new independent woman” to understand that her degree, her bank account, and her goals should be used to help hold down her family, not to build herself up. And it takes a smart woman to know when she needs to protect her man from the world – even if it’s for his own good.
My dad wasn’t perfect, but my mom found a way to always make him appear that way in our eyes.
If you’re a black man, especially, please weigh in on whether these tips are on point and what else you need on the regular. Yeah, that too. But also share some advice for Kanye and other young men trying to maneuver through this world as husbands, fathers, breadwinners, etc. You never know what words might help heal a heart, calm a soul …or avoid a lawsuit!
Our Favorite Celebrity Swirls
1. Tamera and Adam Housley1 of 34
2. Alfonso Riberio & Angela Unkrich2 of 34
3. Thandie Newton & Ol Parker3 of 34
4. Sharon Leal & Paul Becker4 of 34
5. Eve & Maximillion Cooper5 of 34
6. Evan Ross & Ashlee Simpson6 of 34
7. Zoe Saldana and Marco Perego7 of 34
8. Karyn Parsons & Alexandre Rockwell8 of 34
9. Heather Headley & Brian Musso9 of 34
10. Hank Baskett & Kendra Wilkinson10 of 34
11. Ron Perlman & Opal Stone11 of 34
12. Kimora Lee & Tim Leissner12 of 34
13. Soledad O'Brien & Brad Raymond13 of 34
14. Sidney Poitier & Joanna Shimkus14 of 34
15. Harry Belafonte & Pamela Frank15 of 34
16. Robert DeNiro & Grace Hightower16 of 34
17. Kanye West & Kim Kardashian17 of 34
18. Randy Jackson & Erika Riker18 of 34
19. Gary & Kenya Owen19 of 34
20. Darius Rucker & Beth Leonard20 of 34
21. Chris Ivery & Ellen Pompeo21 of 34
22. Iman & David Bowie22 of 34
23. Chris Noth & Tara Wilson23 of 34
24. Halle Berry & Oliver Martinez24 of 34
25. Ice-T & Coco25 of 34
26. Rick Fox & Eliza Dushku26 of 34
27. Cash Warren & Jessica Alba27 of 34
28. Justin & Keisha Chambers28 of 34
29. Alfre Woodard & Roderick Spencer29 of 34
30. Oluchi Onweagba & Luca Orlandi30 of 34
31. Paul & Crystal Wall31 of 34
32. George Lucas & Mellody Hobson32 of 34
33. Dirk Notwitski and Jessica Olssen.33 of 34
34. David & Cathy Guetta34 of 34
Does Kim Know How to Make Kanye the Best Man He Can Be? was originally published on blackamericaweb.com