As a parent, the things you do and say have a tremendous influence on your child’s behavior. Encourage your child to live a healthy lifestyle by talking the talk and walking the walk. Don’t know where to start? Here are a few ideas.
There are many ways to assure that you have a healthy diet. One is to get enough fruit and vegetables each day. A growing body of research shows that fruits and vegetables are critical to promoting good health. To get the amount that’s recommended, most people need to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables they currently eat every day.
* Keep a bowl of fresh fruit on your kitchen counter.
* Place a box of raisins in your child’s backpack and in your briefcase.
* Add strawberries, blueberries or bananas to your cereal, oatmeal, or toast.
* Read more about nutrition for everyone in your family.
Engage in Physical Activity
Photo: Two boys and a bowling ballRegular physical activity is important for all age groups. Being active helps control your weight, strengthen your bones and muscles, improve your mental health and mood, and reduces your risk of many life-threatening diseases.
* Encourage your children to be active for at least one hour a day.
* Set a positive example by leading an active lifestyle yourself.
* Take family walks or play active games together.
* Read more about physical activity guidelines.